business trip to

České Budějovice



ceske_budejovice_2.jpgWith about 100,000 inhabitant České Budějovice is the largest city in South Bohemia. The German name for the city is Budweis.

České Budějovice has a beautiful market square, the Náměstí Premysla Otakara II, that is surrounded by beautiful restored houses with arcades. The large square has a length and width of 133 meters. In the middle you will find the elegant Samson fountain which was build in the 18th century. The Baroque city hall originates from 1731. It is abundantly decorated with statues and reliefs.
The St. Nicolas church was build during the 17th century in the Baroque style at the same burnt place where before a Gothic church had been.

ceske_budejovice_3.jpgJust like in Český Krumlov, the monuments of České Budějovice are also under protection. This is because of the numerous late Gothic, Renaissance and Baroque houses, the arcades and the remains of a Gothic fortification. A visible symbol of the previous wealth of the city is the Černá Věž, the black tower. This is a 72 meters high bell- and watch-tower from the year 1577. Interesting is also the Czech part of the former (horse)railway from České Budějovice to Linz in Austria.

The city is a major traffic and industrial centre. For example there is the well known Budvar brewery. The beer from this brewery is known all over the world. Already in the 16th century, Ferdinand I let his court be supplied with this beer.


Useful information


See it on the map

Campgrounds near České Budějovice

Tourist information:

Ceské Budějovice Informacní centrum
Nám. Přemysla Otakara II. č. 1
tel:(+420) 386 801 413
www: http://www.c-budejovice.cz/cz/stranky/uvod.aspx
mail: infocb@c-budejovice.cz

Informacní centrum Bavorský les - Šumava
Karla IV 416/14 370 21
tel:+420 387 202 598
www: http://www.bavorskeles.cz
mail: info.cb@bavorskelesy.cz



Places of interest

8.9km: Castle Hluboká

kasteel_hluboka_s.jpg
The castle of Hluboká nad Vltavou is one of the most famous castles in the Czech Republic. It is build in the Neo-Gothic style after the castle of Windsor in England. The oldest predecessor of the present castle was an Early-Gothic castle, build around the middle of the 13th century. In the middle ages the castle was alternating under royal or under aristocratic management.

Read more    See it on the map

12.8km: Ruins of Girl´s Stone

divci_kamen_s.jpg
The Dívčí Kámen or Girl´s Stone medieval castle was built on a stony cliff above the confluence of the Křemžský Stream and the Vltava River. The castle was founded by the Rosenberg family in 1349

Read more    See it on the map

15.3km: Zlatá Koruna

zlata_koruna_s.jpg
Close to Český Krumlov lies the Cistercian monastery 'Zlatá Koruna', the Golden Crown.
The name 'Golden Crown' was given to the monastery because it has a thorn of the crown of thorns of Jesus in their possession. The monastery has been added to the national cultural inheritance list in 1995.

Read more    See it on the map

18.5km: Blanský Les

blansky_les_s.jpg
Blanský Les has a surface of 21.235 Ha. and is a true paradise for outdoor activities. In 1990 the area has obtained the status of nature reserve and it stretches out over the districts České Budějovice, Český Krumlov and Prachatice. It is an area with a high ecological value in the lower parts of Šumava. The highest point is the mountain Klet with 1084 meters.

Read more    See it on the map