This city with 23.000 inhabitants is also called 'the northern gate to the Šumava'. Klatovy has a beautiful historic skyline; two buildings dominate the up high situated market square. The Černá Věž, in English the Black Tower, was build by the Dutch architect Antonie Salvelly in the year 1555. It is situated beside the city hall and was at the time used as a jail. From the top of the tower you have a magnificent view at the Bohemian Forest.
Very impressive is the Baroque Jesuit church with its abundant decorated frontage and interior. Underneath the church there are catacombs. In these crypts the members of the Jesuit order and notables from the city were buried. There are still 30 mummies left in the catacombs.
The city also offer in Baroque style build pharmacy "U Bílého jednoročce", which is now a museum, gives an overview of the developments in pharmacy through the ages. The pharmacy is included in the World Heritage List of UNESCO.
Around the old city there are still remnants of the old city walls to be found. The old bastions are now reshaped into a park where modern sculptures stand eye to eye with the past.
The city of Klatovy in history became famous not only for traditional goods, historical sights but also for carnations which was cultivated from tiny blossom carnations which originated from France.
Useful information See it on the map Campgrounds near Klatovy
Tourist information:Informační centrum Klatovy
Náměstí Míru 63 339 01
tel:(+420) 376 347 240